What is freedom? It sounds like one of those existential questions posed in Philosophy 101, which requires an essay response. But it is a question worth pondering now and then, especially around July 4th, when we celebrate our nation's independence. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness...." These familiar words from the Declaration of Independence remind us that life itself and liberty as the ability to make our own choices in the pursuit of happiness, are gifts from God. No one should ever be able to take these away from us. Though we still have to abide by society's rules and respect our fellow human beings, we can, for the most part, find our own path in life and change course at any time. We are blessed to live in a country that allows us that freedom and we must do everything in our power to protect this sacred right.
So I begin this day by giving thanks for these gifts and countless others that I rarely acknowledge. I give thanks for my physical body that, though it's getting older, is a miracle in itself. Every day, I wake up and am able to move freely. I can walk outside and see the sunrise, listen to the morning birds and smell the fragrance of the earth. I can taste fresh strawberries and the first sip of hot coffee. I can listen to music or sing, dance, write or read. I can hug someone or pet my dog, care for my garden, feed the birds...so many choices! If I have to go to work, I can change my attitude about that and find things to be thankful for in the job that I do, the people I am surrounded with each day. When we really think about it, the ordinary becomes extraordinary; we see that the things we take for granted everyday are really to be celebrated!
So, if I were to write that essay on "what is freedom", I would say that, more than anything, it is a state of mind. No matter what our physical circumstances, our spirits are as free as we allow them to be. We always have the ability to think, dream, imagine and pray our way through any situation. I would sum it up by saying that freedom is the ability to let go of anything that hinders, makes us feel constrained or unhappy and to fully embrace the blessings that each day holds, writing our own story as we go.
To quote a familiar song by Bobby McFerrin:
Don't worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
But when you worry you make it double
Don't worry be happy!


No comments:
Post a Comment