Monday, July 13, 2026

Cathedral of the Woods

 I have always thought of a walk in the woods as something of a religious experience. Hiking on a path through the forest, with a canopy of green leaves above me and wildflowers growing in the spots where dappled sun shines through, calms and centers me. There is a hush in deep, old growth woods, inspired by birdsong and the hum of interconnected life all around, that brings deep peace whenever the world "is too much with me" (to quote Wordswoth).


It is so easy to pray when out in nature. There is beauty all around and much to be thankful for. Every living thing seems to vibrate with the Divine. Even when things are not going great in my personal life, I can escape for a time to this peaceful place where I can refresh and nourish my soul.

Recently, I read something on social media that really resonated with me:

How the Forest Heals You:
  • Tree scent: Lowers stress hormones and boosts natural killer cells which strengthen the immune system.
  • Color Green: Reduces heart rate and blood pressure
  • Fractal patterns: Found in leaves calm the brain and reduce mental fatigue
  • Bird songs: Reduce anxiety in the amygdala (the fight or flight center), restore focus and improve mood 
  • Fresh air: Trees filter pollutants and deliver clean oxygen rich air to our lungs
Physically, mentally, spiritually, the forest is a magically healing place.



5 comments:

  1. I love this! Forest bathing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this Cathedral Pines in the Adirondacks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, this is the Four Mile Creek trail in Webster

      Delete
  3. The Green Cathedral, Carl Hahn, Gordon Johnstone 1921. I think of song so often hiking the wonderful trails in and around our beautiful geographic areas.

    ReplyDelete