Monday, May 2, 2022

Good Soil

 This past weekend, in honor of Earth Day, Tom and I took advantage of the beautiful spring weather to work in the garden beds. We weeded and turned the soil, adding compost and a beautiful, wonderfully smelly leaf mulch that our town provides. As I was working, I found myself filled with the spontaneous joy that can just kind of bubble up until you have to sing out in praise. Who knew?... playing in the dirt can be a spiritual experience!

 

 I guess I've always found working the soil to be a joyful, life affirming activity.  I first learned about the wonders of planting and growing when I was about 12. We had recently moved to a big new house that my father built and there was plenty of space to plant a vegetable garden. So, perhaps as a way to reconnect with me at this awkward age, he taught me how to use a shovel to turn the dirt, raking out the stones and weeds, then adding his special mixture of peat moss and cow manure to enrich the soil. I can picture him now, smiling, holding a handful of dirt up to my nose to smell its wonderful earthiness. We planted tomatoes and peppers; cucumbers and zucchini; lettuce and onions and had a bountiful harvest throughout the season and for many years after.

I recently read a book called Losing Eden, by Lucy Jones, in which the author makes a good case for her theory that the rise in mental illness in recent years is the direct result of our loss of connection to the earth. She cites scientific studies that have identified a specific soil bacteria called M.vaccae that, in studies with animals, has greatly reduced fear-like behaviors and is currently showing promise in studies of humans suffering from PTSD.

I for one, believe there is truth to the idea that soil can alleviate stress and foster positive feelings. My personal experience affirms it, as well as my observations of others. I watch my little dog every morning, happily sniffing the dirt as he trots along on our morning walk and the preschool children at the Montessori school where I work, as they play in the large, grassy school yard. They are continually drawn to the mud and dirt and will joyfully roll in it if you let them. In fact, Maria Montessori believed that connection to the earth and soil and caring for living things should be an essential part of children's learning experience. She understood on an intuitive level, as well as through her observations, that children need the earth to learn and grow.

Caring for the earth and connecting to the soil can help us to integrate body, mind and spirit. Jesus taught many parables about soil, seeds and planting, making them perfect metaphors for many spiritual lessons. Certainly, what we create in the physical realm can help us connect to the spiritual and vice-versa. 

As I ponder these things on this rainy spring morning, I am especially thankful for the good soil of our Earth and the many ways we are blessed by its bounty.

1 comment:

  1. And the sore muscles are a happy reminder of a weekend filled with such glorious work! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete